The British Embassy invites applications for the position of Political and Economic Officer.
As the lead economics expert this will be an important and high profile role within the Embassy. We are looking for a dynamic self-starter, able to build strong working relationships with a wide network of contacts, use analytical skills to deliver effective and timely reporting, and work flexibly within a busy team.
This being a new position in the Embassy the successful candidate will have the opportunity to influence the job description. The contract is for one year but will be made permanent with agreement of both parties.
The role Economic (65%) Report and provide advice on (i) economic issues and (ii) developments in the business environment in order to improve Embassy and UK government understanding. This will involve undertaking both quick analytical reporting and more detailed research on a broad range of issues and produce high quality tailored reports with minimal direction.
Represent the Embassy at conferences and seminars, reporting back to colleagues on key developments and trends.
Develop a network of working level economic contacts in government, research institutes and the private sector to assist with analysis.
Support the work of the Embassy’s Commercial team by producing reports on specific economic themes and providing incoming UK business delegations with high-level economic briefings.
Contribute to official visits by assisting with the programme and contribute to briefing material, including leading on all economic analysis, for visiting UK ministers and officials.
Political (35%) Become the Embassy expert of rule of law and domestic governance issues. You will produce clear, accurate, and concise written reports demonstrating a strong political awareness.
Support the work of the Embassy’s political team by providing support to the Head of Section and cover for the Communications and Projects Officers when required.
Desirable skills and experience
• An honours or masters degree in a relevant field; or sufficient equivalent experience to demonstrate post-graduate-level research and writing skills.
• Experience and interest in following economic issues and ability to speak confidently with economists and other experts on economic policy issues;
• Prior workplace experience in research, policy analysis or report writing.
• Demonstrate initiative and resourcefulness to independently source complex information from a range of credible sources.
• Strong organizational, analytical and time management skills, with very good attention to detail.
• Flexible, resilient under pressure and decisive with a proven track record of delivering results to a high standard within tight deadlines.
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills with a strong customer focus.
• Ability to travel occasionally within Azerbaijan or internationally as needed.
• Strong understanding of the Azerbaijan political and economic context.
A native Azerbaijani speaker with excellent written and verbal English skills. Strong Russian would also be an asset.
Salary and employment
Embassy working hours are 0900 to 1700, Monday to Friday. Monthly gross salary for this position will be approximately 1500 AZN payable in arrears. The successful applicant will receive a comprehensive medical insurance package and excellent training opportunities.
The closing date for applications is 1700 on 23 March, 2015. Shortlisted applicants will be invited to interview shortly afterwards.
Due to the large number of applications, we are afraid that we will only contact those people called for interview. Interviews will be conducted in English. Training and employment will commence as soon as possible.
Please submit a completed application form Political and Economic Officer application form. https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/409161/Application-form.doc
(MS Word Document, 181KB) electronically to email@example.com
with the job title for which you are applying in the subject line. Do not send a CV.
Any final appointment will be subject to necessary security clearance and a probationary period.
The British Embassy is an equal opportunities employer and does not discriminate on grounds of ethnic origin, race, religious beliefs, age, disability, gender or sexual orientation. All applications will be treated on merit.